Get the packaging right is very important for food product manufacturers. The packaging needs to be functional and useful for marketing efforts for the products. It is crucial to get the right food packaging equipment. That starts with the correct vertical form fill seal machine. Here are some tips to help you get the right food packaging machine for your specific needs.
- Look at the size package that you sell the most. Before you head out to buy or rent a vertical form fill seal machine, take a good look at your sales numbers. Get a machine that works best with the size of bag that is your biggest seller. That is the size that needs the automation more than all the other sizes that you sell. Often, companies buy or rent vertical form fill seal machines to be able to be used with all of their bag sizes. In a way, there is a logic in this. The main drawback is that while it can, in theory, work with all sized bags, in practice, it will not work as well with some. The result will be lost product for some of the sizes. That is not a huge deal except when one of the sizes it does not work well with is your best seller. You will save money in the long run if you get a machine based on the sizes that you sell the most. You may find that you need more than one vertical form fill seal machine but you will still have a better experience than if you buy one machine and expect it to work for all of your packaging needs.
- Listen to the manufacturer. When you are dealing with packaging experts, such as the manufacturers of food sealing machines, they may have suggestions. Listen to the experts at the company that makes the vertical form fill seal machine, they may look over your sales numbers and see what sized bags you sell the most of and have an idea or two about the machine that will work well with your product. They may also have suggestions about the operation of the machine. There is no harm is listening to them. They want you to be happy with the equipment you buy and your experience with their products.
- Ask about the operating costs of the machine. There are a number of things that will need to be replaced from time to time on any vertical form fill seal machine. These parts include ware strips, knives and cartridge heaters. Some other parts will need to replaced but not as frequently. These are all costs that need to be factored into the overall price of the machine that you decide to go with. Make sure you are clear on how much each model that you look like will cost to operate so you can make a more informed decision.
- Make sure the manufacturer understands what you need. Different food products are processed differently through pouch filling machines and vertical form fill seal machine, if they are going to give you advice that works for your needs, they have to really understand what your needs are when it comes to the packaging of your products. Ask if the salesperson has dealt with businesses that are similar to yours.
- Get advice about different films. You are going to need the right kind of film to use with the vertical form fill seal machine. The right film will make the machine work better and will cost less to operate. The machine manufacturer should be able to point you in the right direction of the best place to get the best film for the machine.
- Make sure you get a machine that has all of the features you need. You want a vertical form fill seal machine with a automatic web guide control and registration capability. It should also be made from stainless steel. Stainless steel is important for food manufacturers as it keeps the food safe. Sometimes manufacturers do not include everything that food producers need so you have to check.
These tips will help you get the right machine for your needs.